Wienerschnitzel is highly regarded for our iconic “A-Frame” style restaurant, which debuted in 1965 with a small footprint and narrow design. Today, we keep lineage to the A-Frame with the ‘Heritage’ series, a sleek restaurant building that is cost-effective and undeniably impressive. Its memorable design is incredibly efficient, with more real estate options where competitors typically cannot go.
Choosing the right real estate is the most critical first step once becoming a Wienerschnitzel franchisee. Wienerschnitzel offers a range of restaurant models, from new construction to conversion buildings to strip-center end caps, – all models with a drive-thru – catering to different real estate opportunities. In this article, we will explore the various formats available, providing insights into their unique features and benefits.
1. New Construction, Free-Standing Restaurant with Drive-Thru
The new construction models – five prototypes available in all – allow you to build a Wienerschnitzel restaurant from the ground up. This format offers the advantage of size customization, with the two ‘Heritage’ models ranging between 800 – 1,400 sq. ft., and the W-6 series between 1,800 – 2,200 sq. ft. These options allow franchisees the flexibility to design their restaurant to fit a specific lot size. New construction is ideal and preferred, and customers will gravitate to an innovative, fresh and efficient restaurant. Also developing from the ground up provides more flexibility in positioning new technological advances, like mobile ordering/ designated pick-up, and use of artificial intelligence.
- Vast sizing options: Free-standing building options as small as 800 sq. ft up to 2,200 sq. ft.
- Brand visibility: These restaurants stand out in a crowd, and are unmistakably memorable.
- Built for today’s world: operationally efficient, with speed and profits top of mind
2. Conversion Buildings, Free-Standing Restaurants with Drive-Thru
A conversion model involves transforming a former free-standing restaurant or existing structure into a Wienerschnitzel quick-serve restaurant. This format typically lends itself to a faster development time to open, and often a less initial investment since it capitalizes on an already existing infrastructure. It’s a strategic choice for entrepreneurs who can source good real estate with an existing building. The primary drawback to a conversion building is the unknown: it can be more difficult to estimate your final development costs when you don’t know exactly the condition of the building, and what upgrades will be required to bring it to code.
- Faster entry: Depending on the condition of the building and required improvements, it may take less time to open than new construction
- Cost efficient: Existing buildings tend to be a lesser investment than new construction but will require a full set of drawings and fulfillment to make your Wienerschnitzel unique and appear as brand new, day 1.
3. End Cap with Drive Thru
The end cap model with a drive-thru involves positioning a Wienerschnitzel restaurant at the end of a retail strip or shopping center. This format can be extremely effective if the real estate is situated by a strong ‘anchor’ tenant – has good signage, visibility, and access – from the main road. Depending on the anchor, you can also capture foot traffic from adjacent businesses. A key consideration in looking at any end-cap is how much competition and ‘distractions’ are in the immediate vicinity for customers to reach you.
- A landlord typically provides a grey or white building shell ready to build out your Wienerschnitzel.
- An end cap is often the most cost-efficient model to open the doors for a new Wienerschnitzel.
- Increased foot traffic: Potential capture of neighboring retail customers.
Whether you opt for new construction, the efficiency of a conversion, or the strategic positioning of an end cap location, Wienerschnitzel provides dedicated full-time Real Estate and Construction support resources needed to turn your vision into a thriving business.
For more detailed information on each franchise model, inquire today to connect with our franchise development team.